Wednesday 1 May 2013

Manga Review: Devil's Kiss

Title: Devil's Kiss
Original Title: Akuma no Kuchizuke
Author: Takamiya Satoru
My Review:
I am writing this review as I read the book. I'm doing so because I have a memory span of a gnat... What can I say *sigh* This is going to be my first time reviewing a manga by volume so bear with me.
Firstly, I am absolutely in love with Takamiya Satoru. She has a way of making me swoon at her characters. Plus my heart always beats awfully fast when I'm reading her works. Or maybe that's just the caffeine coursing through my veins. ~^O^~

I love the way she drew her feathers.  
    




See... so pretty and fluffy. I think she loves angels and devils and witches as well since she seems to be drawing a lot of 'em. 

This volume consist of several one-shots. 
1. The first one would be about an angel and a devil. The angel is trying to pass angel school. To do so, she must captured a devil. She bended the rule a bit as she summoned a devil to be captured. Such a naughty little angel. Angels are not supposed to cheat. *shrug* How else can they show good examples to us humans. The angel's name is Sara while the devil is Rembrandt. Instead of capturing him, Sara was being lured by Rembrandt to not be an angel. As shoujo stories always go, I guess I don't have to tell you the ending. It's way too predictable.

"Whether you like me or not, as long as I can create unforgettable feelings in you, it's fine. Those feelings which you can't control, do you know what they are called? It's called love" -Rembrandt-

I think the thing that the manga-ka wants to emphasis in this story is that even when you're in love with somebody, don't ever change who you are to satisfy the one you love. It's okay if it's for the better but to change just simply he or she wants you to is simply irrelevant. For example, if you're somebody who throw rubbish anywhere on the floor, yes, change. be somebody cleaner who throw them in appropriate places like the dustbin. But, if you go all the way to change how you look, behave and well, what makes you, you, then that is wrong. Or should I say it screamed desperation. The person who is in love with you should accept you just the way you are. Besides, he or she has fallen in love with you because you have been yourself in the first place. Let's just assume that if you change too much, he or she will wonder where did the person they have fallen in love in the first place and they might just fall out of love.
2. Yosh, moving on to the second story. The second book is about Kiku, a flower that suddenly turned into a boy and Hina, a middle school girl. Kiku was a red chrysanthemum. To all that doesn't know what flower is that (including me, lol) voila:-
The plot was a bit undesirable. They do end up  together. It's just that Hina was supposed to be in love with her best friend's boyfriend, but did not have the courage to confess. Then she suddenly like Kiku. o.O And also magically has the will to tell him that she likes him. 

3. Is it me, or the story has become bothersome to read. This time it's about a popular girl who has fallen for her sempai. Like all Takamiya Satoru's male character, this one is also manipulative. I found out that the girl is actually afraid to be alone and easily trapped within the sempai's web. She learned that having many friends is not necessarily important, she just needed at least one who actually cares.

4. Hee, the fourth story is funny. It's about a high school student that is in love with the teacher. No matter what he did, he can't shake off  the student that cling to him. It just shows that if you pester a guy enough, he may eventually love you. 

Me: *shouting from a distance* "Hey crushhhhhh, if I say I like you and pester you everyday, will you like me?" 
Crush: *place a restraining order* "Not in a million years freak.
Me : *hide in a corner, sobbing uncontrollably*

To wrap this up, I guess I have mixed feelings about this book. I like the first and the last story but the second and third just didn't do it for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment