Wednesday 23 January 2013

Review: Rockoholic by C.J. Skuse

Title: Rockoholic
Author: C.J. Skuse
Page: 368
Publisher: Chicken House

Synopsis from the back cover:
Jody's obsessed with a rock star. At Jackson Gatlin's concert, she's right at the front. But when she's caught in the crush, Jody's carried backstage. Throw in a concussion, a super-wired superstar, and a Curly Wurly- and she finds herself taking home more than a poster. OMG! Jody's kidnapped  him. But what happens when the rock god in her garage doesn't want to leave? Jody's stuck between a rock idol and a hard place.




Review

Truth be told, I couldn't really relate to the main character of this story in the context of obsessing over a band member since I have never worshiped them. I am just somebody who enjoys multiple genre of music. However, as the world is producing more and more hot singing/dancing boys to ogle at, I can usually witness those kind of idiotic adoration via the internet.

Since it is not something I'm familiar with, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It was supposed to be a new experience and I was a bit expectant when it came to romance between them. The author just proved me wrong and that was what I love the most about the book. They did not immediately fall in love and make babies. It turns out that Jackson is a druggie and he was high when Joy kidnapped him. When he is finally at Jody's house, her best friend who is a guy opposed her decision of keeping him like some lost puppy.

Jody learned that not everything on tv was real. Because of him, she managed to fix her relationship with her family.  Besides, she managed to destroy the thoughts that his best friend is gay. She finally opened her eyes that he actually love her. Thus the reason he always stick with her. I mean, who would stand all your weirdness and not love you. But, she is still quite thick for a girl. She gave her entire savings just to help Jackson get another identity.

Jackson the rock star suffered from being indirectly abuse by his producer. If you can call being fed drugs so he can perform 24/7 as indirect, then that's what it is. During his stay with Jody, he was detoxed and learned friendship. He get to skip his life and start over. He did set up another identity but was always caught and brought back to his producer. But, with Jody's help he did.

This is a sweet read and I got to see what's all the big deal with artists. However, I'm still not convinced to join the bandwagon of worshipers.

These are the other covers. I personally like the one above actually. My house mate bought it at a Big Bad Wolf book sale.





No comments:

Post a Comment